Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I am an African

When the former President of the Republic of South Africa, Mr Thabo Mbeki, delivered the ‘I am an African’ speech in 1996, I was barely in my teens and did not know that over 10 years later, I would be so interested in the affairs of this continent. I also did not know that there would come a time when I would define myself as an African rather than being affiliated to a particular country in the continent. Very often I have been asked by numerous numbers of people where I come from and I always say to them that I am an African after which they look at me dumbfounded. It was not until I decided to understand and confront my identity demons that I realized I was a child of many formations and could not necessarily be affiliated with one country. I am deeply passionate about the African continent, I find myself asking a lot of why questions about Africa’s past, and have so much optimism about the continent’s potential.

I was born in Kenya and my formative years until late teens were spent there. It was there that I learnt the importance of family, hardwork, sharing with one another and the basic tenets of Ubuntu. It was in Kenya that I received an education that would enable me to access higher education institutions in other African countries. It was in Kenya that I first realized that I was interested in questioning why things were they way they were and what I could do to change things for the better. But it is the same country that I am very often critical of because of lack of governance, proper planning, corruption, and a leadership vacuum. I have often said that I am only connected to Kenya because I have family there and that still remains true. Nonetheless, because I am an African, I remain optimistic that the waves of change will hit Kenya and that my children’s children will have a better future if they ever decide to live there.

I moved to Botswana when I was about 16 years old and there I learnt that it was possible for Africa to have good leaders, political stability, peace, and a focus on service delivery for its citizenry. It was in Botswana where I learnt about the role of public servants in ensuring that public policies were implemented. It was in Botswana where I interacted with people from all kinds of nations and began to appreciate the diversity that this continent is.

I now live in South Africa, a land full of possibilities. A land even though still struggling to define itself as a nation, is made up of a majority of citizens that want it to be the best that it can be. A land where my love for the continent has been strengthened in ways that I would not have imagined. A land where I have been afforded opportunities that I never dreamt of. A land where I have met some of the most wonderful people who have become my friends and chosen not to embrace me wholly. A land where I have learnt that it is possible to reach for your dreams. A land that has made me aware that if a country builds strong institutions, has an all inclusive constitution, and check and balance mechanisms, leadership and government can be challenged in ways that I only saw on the media happening in developed countries. And it is a land that continues to define it role in African and international politics in a manner that is sometimes contradictory but that sometimes takes stands that aim to protect it allies, mostly other African and developing nations.

So how can I turn around and say that I am of a particular country in the continent? How can my identity be defined by the travel documents that I carry? And how can anyone expect me to not stagger the answer to where I come from?

Who am I?

I am an African who loves the people and the land that has raised and carried me up to now. I am an African that strives to make a difference in the work that I do and how I relate to people.

I am an African that will not rest when our leaders want to make this continent a failure. I am an African that will continue to make noise for what I know the people of this continent deserve.

I am an African that will not rest until I have made an impact.

I am an African that refuses to be defined by borders or travel documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment