Friday, December 9, 2011

The Journey to Kitui


Landscape in Kitui
www.google.com

Nairobi was such a great experience for me and I had a wonderful opportunity to see my family (did i say i have a really big family) and spend some quality time with my sister (I have not seen her for over a year). But with all the traffic, pollution and just me being home sick, I decided to travel up-country to go see and spend time with my parents and other sister. As you have noticed, I keep referring to my younger days in Kenya when I am comparing things and I suppose that will not stop for the entire period I am here. While I was packing and getting ready to leave my very comfortable home (it has been for the last few days), I kept remembering how when we were younger, we would travel from Kitui to Nairobi and it would take us almost half a day (its ridiculous as Kitui is 130km from Nairobi), and I was very prepared to spend the same amount of time to get home.

So i had psychologically prepared myself for the journey and even asked my friend to 'whatsapp' with me while on my way to avoid the boredom and to have virtual company (the time flew so quickly and our conversations are amazing). Little did I know that the roads had been upgraded and the journey would now take less than 3 hours (yes its still work in progress). I must say I was very impressed by the fact that almost 80% of the road was tarmacked and had no potholes at all (except the one time where for almost 30 minutes we drove on a non-existent pathway). I am so impressed that development is not only central to the Nairobi greater area but that most of the rural areas are getting some attention too.

It was also absolutely amazing how beautiful the landscape was. I don’t remember the last time I used that road but I don’t recall seeing that much green and beauty (maybe I am only appreciating nature now). I still wish I had taken some photographs but I couldn’t (I have vowed that next time I come around, I am definitely hiring a car and doing that trip at leisure to capture as many photos as possible). Kenya is in the rainy season and all through the journey, I could see farm animals grazing as well as maize and other crops that people have planted.

One thing I was not very impressed about was that the space between chairs in the taxi that I boarded did not cater for people with long legs (I kid you not, there was less than 50cm space between chairs) so I ended up paying for two seats and could stretch my legs. But it all worked out in the end and I did not have as much discomfort.

Then I got home and was met by my very excited father at the bus rank. It has been almost 2 years since I last saw my biological parents, and I had been looking forward to this day since I arrived in Nairobi. My dad and I quickly had lunch, exchanged all the greetings, and got down into the business of the state of politics and Kenya (now you know where I inherited the passion for this from me). We have been at it since then (and even after my dearest youngest sister joined us) and I am enjoying every moment of it.

From this conversation, I have been able to learn very sad news about the state of economy in Kenya (and in fact witnessed it). The price of food has increased by about 50% and for some commodities over 100% from what it was about a year ago. As we were talking, I managed to catch a glance of today’s newspaper, which was talking about how insensitive politicians can be in Kenya. If your constituents cannot afford to buy bread, milk and other basics, what are you doing in Parliament, as a politician? But that is a never ending story, for instance, I cannot believe that the Kenyan Parliament is being refurbished, and the cost of one of the seats is R20000. This is utterly unacceptable and a spit in the faces of the poor. One often wonders whether the politicians live in the same country as all of the citizenry. I am utterly appalled!

Anyway, a few facts about the little town, Kitui, where I was raised and schooled:
Some of my ancestors were basket weavers
www.google.com
  • It’s a small town 130km east of Nairobi
  • With political reforms in 2010 as a result of the promulgation of the new constitution, Kitui became the capital of the Kitui county, and caters for a much larger population (about 1 million people)
  • Significant developments have been implemented as a result of the decision to merge several districts into the county (I am told that one can actually club hop in Kitui. When I was growing up, there was not a single night club in the town)
  • There are a number of banks that operate in Kitui including National, Equity, Family, Kenya Women, and Kenya Commercial banks, and they all have ATMs
  • Majority of people here speak Kikamba but also there is an ever increasing population of Somalis and people also speak Kiswahili
  • There are a number of churches, great primary and secondary schools, and campuses of two major universities are also based here
  • The main attractions are the Nzambani Rock (in the middle of relatively flat landscape, suddenly a 60 feet tall rock is rising from the ground), and rich culture and traditions (the people are certainly very friendly)
  • It is a very safe town and one can walk everywhere and most of the time without much hassle. Ample parking is also available (if you drive) but at a fee (which one can negotiate with a parking attendant)

    Traditional Kamba dance- Kilumi
    www.google.com
  • Most of the food eaten by the population is organic, grown locally and very yummy (I am so afraid I will gain so much weight when I am here). And lastly, there is a very vibrant traditional dance the Akamba people did (and still do). I wish i could shake my shoulders like the dancers do!
I am really looking forward to a great holiday in Kitui and cant wait to spend time with family.


No comments:

Post a Comment